The joys of spring are expressed in the abundance of fresh leafy greens available for eating. Walking through a spring garden and snipping the delicious green harvest is a gift. As we grow this delicious produce, take a few moments to celebrate the bounty by cooking a healthy and tasty recipe you can share.
Fresh Spinach and Sautéed Chicken
Recipe: Fork Cuisine
1-2 c. fresh spinach
2 cloves garlic
3 T olive oil
1 t. oregano
6 chicken thighs or
1/2 block firm tofu
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 lemon or 1t. lemon juice
- Measure the spinach
- Measure the oil
- Mince the garlic
- Chop the onion
- Slice the lemon or have the lemon juice on hand
- Have the oregano, salt and pepper on hand
- Cut the chicken thighs into 3″-4″ pieces
If using Tofu, place the tofu on a clean paper towel on a plate. Place another plate on top of the tofu so it is sandwiched between the two plates. Place a heavy object (can of beans, jar of peanut butter) on top of the top plate and allow the tofu to drain off the water for 10 minutes. Take the heavy object and the top plate off of the tofu and carefully tip the bottom plate so that the water that is not caught in the paper towel drains. Slice the tofu into slices that are the size of fish sticks.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet, preferably cast iron.
- When it is warm, add the onion and saute until beginning to become transparent.
- Add the chicken and salute until it is no longer pink, stirring so that it does not burn. (Add tofu at this time and saute until it is crispy on the outside.)
- Add the garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir all the ingredients together in the pan over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the spinach. It does not need to wilt or saute, just stir it until it is mixed.
- Squeeze or pour the lemon juice over the chicken and spinach.
- Serve over rice, pasta or over a bed of fresh greens.